Friday, February 26, 2010

Quiet in the studio

I have been very busy in the barn with lambs, we currently have 46 with just a few more expected.  The studio has been very quiet and a few projects have been put on the back burner.  Luckily, I am back to felting and it feels good!

The current projects are awards for the Portugese Podengo Pequeno National Specialty.  What is a Podengo?  Good question! 



The Portuguese Podengo is an ancient multi-sensory hound (sight and scent) breed of dog from Portugal.  There are three sizes - small (Pequeno), medium (M├ędio), and large (Grande).  Each size with two hair coats (smooth and wire) and its own unique temperament.  All three sizes love to hunt in their native country.

I didn't know what one was until 6 months ago and I have learned a lot about them since!  A few of my bags were given as awards at their Specialty show at the beginning of the year.


 I finished the Best of Breed award today.  They requested a smooth and wire haired Podengo coursing a rabbit in the Portugal countryside :)  It took a lot of thinking and visioning on how I would accomplish this.  I finally came up with a plan and I am pleasantly surprised with the outcome.    





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations ! They came out great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressed! I had never heard of this breed until now, either. YEARS ago I did the awards (scratchboard portraits) for a new-to-me-then breed's show in Minnesota --Finnish Spitz. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Shannon - it turned out great! I'm sure they'll be more than pleased. :D

    ReplyDelete